Monday, July 20, 2009

July 13-19, 2009

July 13, 2009 – Another hot, muggy day today. I lucked out though, I checked the weather on accuweather and it said it was supposed be in the high 90’s so I decided to go for an earlier walk than usual. It was still quite hot and was foggy. I could hear thunder in the distance during the last lap of the park so I decided to head back for the apartment even though I always take my umbrella. Within a half an hour it began to rain, I mean REALLY rain. I was sure glad I wasn’t out in it! After a short while the rain stopped and I went out for another walk after lunch. Again I could hear the thunder in the distance so I headed back to the apartment and in a while it began to rain again, this time it did not stop for a few hours…kind of reminded me of Seattle…lol. I also spent considerable time on Rosetta Stone learning Chinese, some of it is actually starting to make sense to me very slowly. It could be years before I understand a conversation or can hold a conversation though.
July 14, 2009 – It is again hot and muggy so I went for my walk early. Today it was not foggy but I took my umbrella for sun protection. I had a wonderful walk and got a little sun on my legs, my tan marks are bazaar though because of capris and flip flops. I also was working on Rosetta Stone again today.
I would like to share some articles again from our China Daily News English News we get here. Gotta love this one! Wine-gulping burglars get 4 months each in jail – Two burglars who were arrested after they got drunk and dozed off in the house they broke into in April were each sentenced to four months in prison last week.
In the wee hours of April 6, Zeng and Lia, both in their 20’s broke into a house in Yongjia, Zhenjiang province, and wer only too happy to find some American dollars and an expensive bottle of red wine. They pocked the foreign currency and then sat down to finish the bottle of wine.
At sunrise, a neighbor saw the house door wide open and called the police, who caught the burglars snoring away under a thick quilt. www.chinanews.com.cn
July 15, 2009 – today is laundry day again. I can’t let my laundry get too far ahead of me because of my small washing machine. We also have a work trip this Friday and Saturday for Floyd which I was invited to attend so we need clean clothes for that also. This trip is a recreation trip with Floyd’s office and is going to the Grasslands about 6 hours bus ride from here.
People would not stand for this in the US, but in China it really happened! Fatigued driver falls asleep at traffic junction – Tired after a long journey, a driver fell asleep in his car at a crossroad in Hohhot, Inner Mongolia, for almost two hours, disrupting traffic movement in the wee hours of last Monday.
Police hurried to the scene as many vehicles were forced to take a detour around the intersection, choked with honking traffic.
Police woke the man who explained he had driven for several hours from a neighboring province and ay have fallen asleep waiting at the traffic signal. Inner Mongolia Morning Post
July 16, 2009 –Unfortunately Floyd’s computer decided to take a major dive and quit doing some of the things it is supposed to do for their major deployment of the dairy ration program they are supposed to have happen next week. Because of the time wasted with the computer and trying to get ready for next week we opted to not go on the recreation trip with his office. I am sure we will go on other sight-seeing trips some time.
There were two articles in the newspaper today that interested me, so I will share them both: 2-year-old falls from 21st floor, escapes with bruises - A 2-year-old girl miraculously survived after falling from the 21st floor of an under-construction building in Jiangyang, Sichuan province, last Wednesday.
The toddler suffered only minor injuries, and is said to be in stable condition.
Zhu Tianjun, 31, a migrant worker, said his wife brought their daughter to the 21st floor of the construction site, where he was working, to pay him a short visit.
Minutes later, his wife raised an alarm, saying the girl had fallen off the building.
The girl was rushed to the hospital where doctors were surprised to detect only a broken left femur and some minor injuries on her liver and spleen.
They said the soft soil on the ground may have broken the girl’s fall. Tianfu Morning News
Yikes, that was scary! This next one is definitely for the records…
Bibliophile on trial for stealing 1,697 books – A man stood trial in a Chongqing municipality court last Wednesday for stealing more than 1,500 books from various bookstores in the municipality over a period of three years.
A staff of a bookstore in the municipality first caught Liu with books he had not paid for and handed him over to police in March.
Lie then confessed to often taking away books from various stores without paying, maintaining he did not think it should be considered stealing.
Police searched his house and found 1,697 unbilled books, valued at some 36,000 yuan ($5,271).
The court will pronounce its judgment soon. Chongqing Commercial Daily
July 17, 2009 – we had a very rain day today so I did not venture out of the apartment until late afternoon when I had to go to the store to buy some groceries. I was trying to wait for the rain to stop but finally had to give up and just go with an umbrella up. It was still warm so I wore capris and sandals so my feet and legs got kind of wet. It wasn’t too bad though, it was only raining slightly instead of the downpours we had in the morning. It was very muggy though. After dinner the showers had stopped so we ventured over to the park for a walk. The humidity was so high that I only lasted 2 laps before I felt like I was drowning…actually it was really very hard to breathe! Floyd promised me dinner out tonight or Saturday since we did not go on the trip, but with the rain I opted for Saturday night.
Here is a another news article for the records: Wearing a T-shirt? Beware of the black birds – Two black birds in Zhengzhou, capital of Henan province, have attacked more than 50 man sporting T-shirts on the city’s Funiu Road in the past 20 days.
Three of the victims have even bled as a result of the pecking.
Seemingly, the two birds never attack women, children and senior citizens, and incidentally, all their victims are young men walking around in T-shirts.
Zoologists believe the two birds are avenging their baby’s death 20 days ago.
The baby bird was killed after it fell to the ground from their nest. A man, wearing a T-shirt, picked up the dead bird and chucked it into a roadside dustbin. Zhengzhou Evening News
July 18, 2009 - Floyd is still trying to play catch up with his work on the computer so we have spent most of the day in the apartment. There was an interesting article in the newspaper today…I think someone is going to have some explaining to do (I don’t think he can talk his way out of this one!). Wife bumps into husband and pregnant mistress – A woman got into a major fight with her husband and his mistress in a hospital in Wuchang, Hubei province, on Tuesday after she realized he had made the other woman pregnant.
The 35-year-old wife was at the hospital to see a gynecologist when she accidentally bumped into her husband and his mistress.
The suspicious wife snatched away the woman’s medical records only to learn she was there to get her pregnancy aborted and that her husband was the father.
The fierce fight ended only an hour later after hospital staff intervened. Changjiang Commercial News
July 19, 2009 – we had a slight adventure today, we left our apartment a little late but got a taxi right away. This driver seemed to know where he was going, he went a slightly different way but passed many of the regular landmarks we are used to but then went in a direction we had never been before...we thought for sure we were lost but then he took us right to the building, and the fare was the same as usual. You never know here, we were a little late for the meetings though, we walked in during the opening song. After wonderful talks on Pioneers today, we came home and just relaxed. Unfortunately, Floyd is still preparing for his meetings on Tuesday and Wednesday so he spent most of the afternoon on the computer.

No comments: